Thursday, November 02, 2023

How It All Started #Red Onions

 
Pic (I kinda "owe" you from Tuesday): Fresh vegs in front of our stove-cover that sits up the wall...

Here goes how it all started:
Pre-Easter 2006. Via cgs I worked for Volkswagen and they forced us to take a holiday.
I was living in Braunschweig and like most colleagues had a weekend-relationship, so, despite Ingo had to work I went to his place.
Everybody had to work!!!
What a waste of time!!!

Ingo had ISDN (I had a 56k-modem... beeeep, brlrbrlbrl, beeeep...) - wow, you could really surf the internet with ISDN!!!
Without waiting forever!!! I know, lots of exclamation marks... sorry, but this was exciting, really...

I googled "Perth".
First suggestion: "there were no red onions at Woolies".
 

 At REWE I found them (sadly).

What?! Woolies are the freshfood people, this cannot be!
Clicked.
A "blog", now, what is a blog???
An "online-diary", hm. Interesting. Checked the "about"-section (as I always do).
Female, my age, lives in Cottesloe (North of Perth), beautiful place.

Felt the need to comment and kaaaa-boom, had a blog myself!

Red onions started my blog!

Red onions looked so happily at me last Saturday, so I picked them for my onion cake.
Never. Again.
I cooked them FOREVER. Still crispy - glad I didn´t bring a piece to W!!!
 

D, we have red onions at REWE, I just won´t buy them anymore.

Why you never read a comment from D?
As said, my age. From blogging we went to e-mails, end of 2006 we met in person, it was like meeting a Sister. A blind Sister.
I have blogged about her before. If you read that, skip it.
It´s just... it still hurts me she kicked me away.

When she was 14 her eyesight slowly started vanishing. When we met she was practically blind.
We treated her with care, other than as a normal person.
I admired how she handled things (I didn´t say that of course).
I dragged her away from the rare dog-poo, LOL. Didn´t want her stick to find that!
Ingo treated her the same and I think... she fell in love with Ingo, saw (haha) there is not a chance and hence left also me.

Believe me, I tried everything and I really wish she´d given me an explanation.
Ingo found her at FB, she is OK.

So.. no to red onions, no to not telling you the truth.
Yes, March we will be in Cottesloe again, at Sculpture by The Sea.
Chances are low we meet.
What would/will I do if that happens???
Easy for me to hide, "ha, ha".

Would it do any good to say hi?
We unintentionally hurt each other.
She hurt me a lot.
Maybe she has a partner and is happy? In that case I will step up and say hi - right?

To white onions next time!
 

Were you hurt that deeply by a friend once, too? Left without an explanation? That was what hurt the most. Still does. I would never ever do that.
Not my fault she fell in love with Ingo, is it. I thought we were friends for real...

Well.
At least this was still yummy (kinda):
 
 
Well, this was a "woman-post", or... was it?
If you, male or female, have a story like mine... share?
Onions are not a must 🧅😉

Henry 🦁

 

To honesty! Always. Even if it hurts...




20 comments:

magiceye said...

Truth always hurts. Henry looks puzzled because he knows no lies!

Iris Flavia said...

That is true, animals usually don´t lie (not sure about cats and dogs, though ;-)...)

Bertiebo said...

I don't have a story like that. But it seems very bad to me. I sympathize with you

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, yes. I kinda felt sorry for her, but...

Amypie71 said...

Funnily enough one of our supermarket chains is named Countdown here and it's in the process of being rebranded back to being called 'woolworths' aka "woolies". Be interesting to see how that pans out. As for the red onions, those are great in salads over Summer, they give us a bit of a spicy taste.

River said...

Red onions are for salads, cut them raw and mix with lettuce tomatoes etc, brown or white onions for cooking. Sad about your friend, but I would forget it after all this time.

Iris Flavia said...

Mae, River, yes, I had to find out the hard way what red onions are for! It is still yummy, just a bit too crunchy.
Countdown is a funny name for a supermarket-chain!

Yes, River, I would just pass by...

Jeanie said...

It's hard to lose a friend, especially for a reason like that. But along the way, I'm glad you found blogland. I love red onions and can even cook with them but it all depends on the recipe -- best used in "cooler" dishes where the crunch works. (I do caramelize them and sometimes use them in my soup as caramelized onions and they're great but you have to really cook them LONG and slow!

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, sad about her, but I thank her anyways...
I look forward to summer-salads with red onions then :-)

Tom said...

...the veggies make a lovely still life.

RedPat said...

I have never cooked with red onions but have noticed that Jamie uses them a lot. Must be when he needs some crunch.

Christine said...

Sorry about your friend. Maybe not a true friend. The fall vegetables look so good.

Iris Flavia said...

Tom, yes :-)

____

RedPat, too crunchy for onion cake! But will try it next summer in salad!


____

Christine, history for sure. Yep the brokkoli is still waiting, though!

Granny Sue said...

I can't say I have ever had an experience like that, but I have backed away from some toxic people I thought were friends...and some family too. I am too old for that stuff!
I grew some nice red onions this year but they aren't crunchy. Maybe it's a different variety?

Bill said...

Sad story, it's too bad she didn't explained herself. Red onions are very tasty and I enjoy them over the regular yellow ones.

Iris Flavia said...

Sue, I think she was rather hurt and embarrassed than toxic...
Yes, I think those supermarket-onions are likely different, also they are German... Just for salad now :-)

____

Bill, yes, sad.
Hmmm, just in summer for cold dishes, those onions...

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I had red onion on pizza the other night. Delicious!

Iris Flavia said...

That´s good on ya :-)
It is just nothing for an onion cake...

My name is Erika. said...

Your onion cake looks like it would be a yummy meal with a salad for dinner. And nice on a cool day. This sounds great Iris. Hope you had a great week so far. hugs-Erika

William Kendall said...

My hurt came from family.