Tuesday, October 29, 2019
T Stands for Another (Old) Yum
My Mum always said I cannot cook.
I found a glass of expired red cabbage (I cleared out our red cupboard), checked online about spices, added some cinnamon, too (thanks again to Jamie Oliver, who always suggests you go your own way, and I thought juniper berries go well with cinnamon) ... and sick Hubby woke up, saying it smells so yummy, he wants some, too.
Together with expired dumplings, but he said he´s sure he wants to try!
(No hot oil involved!)
He loves sauce, so he had it with sauce, mine is like that, with - in oil fried dumplings.
To be honest. Was OK, smelled better than it tasted, but Hubby went all the time, "yummm, just like Grandma made it!" This was the very first time I really cooked for another person. And he loved it :-)
Made two meals, too :-) - as in two meals for two persons.
Drinks, oh, that´s ironic, here goes:
This´ll be my job today... recycle (and buy new). Cross your fingers the "faster" machine will work...
Two more 60-90 seconds drawings from back then:
Thanks to you I digitalized them, otherwise they´d rot underneath our swing!
Oh, the cushion?
Self made. Her hubby died at age 42 of heart attack, she´s there with her twin girls and broke up with me (I tried so often, but I´m no trash can, either).
Well, here is another sketch, I remember this was really a tad hectical to do...
Lion of the day:
My lille cooking sure seemed to have been kind of a time warp-event for Hubby :-)
As he always warps back to the early 90´s when I followed a rule. I bought a small can of Sauerkraut (with pineapple) and it said "heat for 5-10 minutes". Was crunchy and not edible. I lived in Hildesheim back then (at uni) and was so dumb to tell him on the weekend. Ever since he comes up with that darn story, teasing me!!
I heated the red cabbage for over 30 minutes, let it cool down and reheated it - HA, there you are, Ingo!
This is for Elizabeth and Bleubeard´s "T Stands For Tuesday".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









37 comments:
Rotkohl und Knödel, klingt gut, aber ich mag auch lieber ohne Soße! Die alten Zeichnungen sind toll. Immer wenn ich meine Flaschen in die Rückgabemaschine werfen will, bricht Alles zusammen und jemand muss kommen um es wieder in Ordnung zu bringen....Happy T Day, GLG, Valerie
The only way I like cabbage is in dyeing it for fabric. Not a fan, but it DOES prove you CAN cook, even expired food.
I simply adore your sketches. They are fabulous. Loved that pillow, too. Too bad the friend who made it is no longer a friend. Yes, we have to let them go if the relationship is detrimental to our own health and sanity.
I would NEVER have thought to use recyclable water and drink bottles. That is incredibly clever, Iris. I love the outside the box idea.
Thanks for sharing your meals, your swing and pillow, your incredible sketches, and your recyclable bottles with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.
Valerie, genau davor habe ich "Angst", dass der blöde Automat voll ist oder kaputt.
Vieviel Zeit man da verbringt, unfassbar!
Ich bin generell kein Soßenfan. Happy T-Day, GLG, Iris
____
Elizabeth!!! You manage to make me laugh with the first sentence!! :-)
Thank you for your compliments - and for agreeing. My Brother says again and again I should try another time, but, as sorry as I feel for her, I am "done".
You often have no other chance than to use recycling bottles. Often they are burnt anyways, I´ve heard several times.
As for water, I take it from the tab and you can easily add lemon/ginger etc, too. That´s all Hubby´s loot I take care of...
Thank you for hosting T-Day, dear friend!
I have not cooked with the red cabbage in a long time-and we do like it-with dumplings sounds pretty good. Your cover and cushion look great and like how you are using your recycle bottles-more than one use. I am usually smiling after reading your posts-hugs happy T Kathy
Kathy, thank you and dito, I like your posts, also.
If it was just me: tap-water and fruits! The recycling is a horror!
But I admit, when being in Australia and we have to buy soft drinks in bottles it "hurts" to throw them away like that, too....
Happy T-Day, hugs, Iris
...I like your pillow, how true!
Oh, Tom, no!!! ;-) It´s actually the other way round indeed!
The food looks delicious and loved the last sketch!
Thank you, well, it really wasn´t that yummy, sadly!
your meal looks yummy! We have pickled red cabbage here, it goes very well with Lancashire Hotpot 😀. Your drawings are amazing, especially the movement one! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x
Oh, I´ve never heard of Lancashire Hotpot - or pickled cabbage... funny how we do cooking so differently at times. Thank you, it´s fun to share the old sketches :-)
Happy T-Day and hugs to you, Jo x
Your drawings look fantastic and recycling the bottles is a good idea.
Your food looked good as well, Jamie has some good recipe ideas to get us started. I often alter the ingredients to suit what is in my pantry.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne x
It's so satisfying to cook for someone who enjoys eating it :) I like how you've arranged your swing furnishings :) It looks like a nice place to sit. Happy T Tuesday!
I sure love the mug, being a tea-drinker, and ohh, beautiful art!
And so true, too! My big Niece, when she was younger, say 6 years old, travelled with me to Perth, Australia (where I just came from a holiday).
So much imagination, she really seemed to be on the train, the planes and all, she even "slept" inbetween!
Yes, Jamie does a great job, I agreee - Happy T-Day to you, Iris x
Ohh the meal may be delicious !! Ilike cabbage, and I think I´d like the sauce you made. Happy T- day !
I always recycle like you. I like this cushion. And I loove the sketches, they are fabulous. Great lion!
I wish you a v ery nice day, and send big hugs,
Caty
Caty, thank you :-) Oh, the recycling. Certainly one machine was full and at the other a man with a huge collection was at. But we do as we do, right.
Thank you for your compliment and big hugs to you, too :-)
Your swing is cheerful and happy! And I love your drawings so much. I hope you are still drawing. You have a talent for it.
Jeanie, thank you. But, no. Maybe next season I start drawing again (or try), now I hate to go out in the dark and courses are always in the evening... And my talent likely is gone, too...
My favorite way to eat cabbage is in fermented saurkraut. And I happen to like it a bit crunchy. Mushy is not to my palette's liking. Your red cabbage is so pretty in your dish.
Your sketches are beautiful! I love the idea of doing quick sketches. I may have to give that a try.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate
I like saurkraut, too, but this was nearly raw!
Yes, give the quick sketches a try, it´s fun, and please share, too, if you like. Happy T-Day :-)
I like red cabbage with sauerbraten. Great sketches. Happy T Day
Oh, the last sauerbraten was at least... 12 years ago!!!
Thank you, the sketches are really old, though :-) Happy T-Day
When you've been told over and over that you can't cook, it must be very special to have your hubby tell you your meal was "just like Grandma made it." What a sweet man.
Your figure drawings are just wonderful. Again, I'm struck by the perspective you capture.
Happy T-day! Eileen xx
Thank you, Eileen, maybe it was his flu he thought it´s yummy, though ;-)
Oh, it was so long ago, no idea if I could draw like this these days!
Happy T-Day to you xx
My mother would occasionally make red cabbage back in the day.
I think I´m done with it for now ;-)
Great drawings Iris and you know I cook German food, love red cabbage with potatoes.
Alexandria, funny, where does your German tooth come from? Thank you, I never thought anyone would like my old sketches!
Nice photos and sketches. I think I like that neon green photo the best. It's a bright color. Happy T-Day!
Iris that swing looks fantastic. I need one of those in my house. I bet it would be a great place to read or sketch. And your meal sounds good. My husband wouldn't it eat, not his style, but I would try it. I hope it was a fantastic T day. Hugs-Erika
Never had juniper berries.
Coffee is on
Thank you, Anne - happy belated T-Day :-)
____
Erika, yes, the swing is great, so soothing, and you really can sketch despite the movement - and read :-)
Yes, we often have that problem, too, Hubby and I, different tastes at times.
It was a great day, hope you had - and have one, too, hugs from here.
____
Dora, I think you cannot eat them, I need them as spices only.
Coincidentally I cooked red cabbage last week too. I always make red cabbage with apples and spices.
I like your swing bench (and the colour too)
Sorry for the late reply. I have friends from Holland staying with us and it is a bit rude to spend time sitting at the computer while they are there.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca
One of ny favourite things at the moment is kimchi, which I'm guessing is a bit like sauerkraut Iris, happy to hear Ingo is feeling better enough to be enticed to eat xox
Lisca, yes, Ingo said, too, I forgot apples!
Oh, don´t apoplogize, please! It is indeed rude to sit at the PC when you have guests!! Hugs, and have fun, Iris :-)
____
I never had kimchi, Grace, I think it´s difficult to make and probably too sour for my liking! Yes, Ingo is back to work and I feel better, too xox
Well done for impressing your hubby with the meal you cooked! Recycling is so much easier to do these days - in the UK we have household bins for practically everything but not so much on street recycling! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx
Glad you both enjoyed your expired food. It seems everything expires quicker than it used to. We are eating expired stuff all the time! We are still here. LOL Sorry to be late. Happy week-end!
Post a Comment